Saturday, August 4, 2007

week 5, thing 11 (Librarything)

I am not sure if I will use it or not for my personal library. I know I have more than 200 books at home and I am not sure if I want to pay for it. But there is a lot to like about Librarything and I am sure that I could find uses for librarything other than cataloging books. Book Suggester, Unsuggester, tags and subject heading lists could all be used for reader's advisory. The Zeitgeist had listings based on statistics and interesting groupings including authors who have Librarything accounts. I also found valuable information in the Librarything groups. In the Librarians who have Librarything accounts there were postings that related not only to books but librarianship. In regards to the cataloging of books, I liked that you could change the display style to include Dewey or LC numbers or a number of other categories.

If you are interesting in keeping track of what you read but do not necessarily own, you might want to try GoodReads.com. This site allows you to keep track of books you want to read and books that you have read. You can group things into categories and use tags. You can also review a book and see what others are reading. I use to have lots of lists and slips of paper of books to read or to use for storytime. Now it all together in one place.
Also you might want to check out shelfari it is similar to Librarything (and free)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog! I personally prefer Shelari. Its my newest favorite website. I already spend way too much time on there. I think its the easiest to use and is also nice to look at.