Wednesday, August 29, 2007

week 9 thing 20 (youtube)

The first video I chose on youtube is titled "Dramatic Squirrel" (although it is not a squirrel but a prairie dog?). One of my co-workers showed this to me, it is too funny! You definitely need to have the sound on for this one.



The second video I chose is a clip of Parker Posey from the movie "Party Girl." A great movie about a party girl turned librarian. This movie is so campy and funny. I am not sure about the legality of this posting, since it is probably copyrighted (which is something youtube is battling with).



I wander onto youtube from time to time and always get lost in it. There is always so much to look at. Youtube is easy to use. I like all of the categories that are available for browsing and the search engine. Youtube is mostly entertaining but can be informative too. I also think that it provides a creative outlet for many. Because of the nature of youtube, users should keep in mind that things are out of context. I have read several news stories about copyright issues and youtube. I also wonder how many videos are posted without the participant's permission. I guess there are always issues with new technology (remember Napster?). Soon there will be court cases and new laws will be established.

youtube could easily be used in a library environment for announcements, instructional videos, program promotions, or even informational videos about why it is important to read to children. Using applications like youtube on the libraries website would add a personally element to the organization.

1 comment:

AnnetteCK said...

That Party Girl clip is hysterical! I didn't know about that movie. Want.