Thursday, August 30, 2007

week 9, thing 21 (podcasts)

I tried Podcast.net and Podcast Alley. I thought Podcast Alley was the better site. Here are comments about each site.

Podcast.net
  • You could search by category or title. Titles weren't really in alphabetical order because of symbols, numbers and articles which kind of drove me crazy.
  • Could not locate popcasts that I listen to such as "This American Life" and "Pop Candy"
  • Too many Google Ads
  • Needed to download software. While they offered suggestions of which software to download, they didn't give instructions.
  • Site lacked any information about podcasts and the site.

Podcast Alley

  • Lots of information about popcasting and popcasts.
  • easy to search categories.
  • Ranked popcasts.
  • Need to download software, but there were clear directions.
  • I easily found the popcasts, I already listen to.

While Podcast Alley was my favorite of the two, I will probably continue to use Apple's itunes. It is easy to browse and works well with my ipod. Before itunes had podcasts, I also used a program called ipodder. Some of the podcasts I once listen to are now by fee-based subscription only. Podcasts, are a great way to catch up with NPR programming.

No comments: