Thursday, August 30, 2007

week 9, thing 22 (overdrive)

Since I was at work when I looked at Overdrive, I did not set up an account or download any books. I have in the past attempted to use this service but didn't like it much at the time. Everytime I chose a book, it was checked out. If it is digital, why aren't there unlimited copies? When the item did come available I didn't have time to listen to it. Another problem was that this program doesn't support my ipod. I recently read an article where the author thought that libraries should have boycotted programs like overdrive until it made an agreement with Apple to make it compatible with the ipod -- the most popular player!! (I don't remember the details of the article). Looking at Overdrive, I was impressed with the variety of books available, and many were ready for immediate "check-out." I thought that it was easy to search and browse (I am not sure if the format varies from library to library?). I will definately try to download books from overdrive again, when I have time to listen to them on my home computer!

No comments: